Monday, 13 February 2012

CAFE ROUGE

It's 06:20 and the birds have barely started to open their tiny eyelids, but Gatwick Airport is full of busy bies. Several houndred staff members swiftly moving around, servicing all the needs of the passangers. The little family from Surrey running, with their DS gaming son, towards gate 48 to catch the 06:55 flight to Malta. You see entire school classes in their red bright jumpers walking around the airport duty-free shops looking at all the cheap alcohol they can't buy.


I find it quite exciting to be at the airport, it's almost like it's its own timezone, with the occasional powernap. The is the one place where people from all over the world meets under the same roof and on the same terms. Quite extraordinary, don't you think?


Gatwick is an ever changeing airport and that was something I noticed today. A new security check-point and a ''never-before-seen-departure-hall'' (at least by me). I stood there completely bewildred, thinking I do not recodnize any of this. One thing is for sure, I need a proper breakfast to get to the same buzzing energy levels as the rest of the bies. I walk past the buffe places and the ''quick-n-easy'' food joints. I wonder, is there a pub to be found somewhere in the Extreme Makeover land or a cafe that's not filled to the brim?


Then I see it, in the far most corner of the hive. The French Cafe Rouge, a medium sized cafe with 1920 interior and a very old french feel. The lower part of the walls, tables and bar is of the dark brown, almost black, oak. The upper part of the wall is a pleasant yellow which has the most intricate writing and paintings. The staff is dressed in black and white, moving about swiftly. Instead the classical airport buzz, speakers going off ''Mr. Hansen, please make your way...'' you have French classic music. I feel ever so relaxed, actually the most relaxed I've ever felt on an airport. It almost feels like I am in France, almost. The omelette I had was VERY good, or tres bon as the French would say.


It is with a relaxed smile on my face I finish my meal and make my way towards the gate and Italy. Cafe Rouge, thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment