Saturday, 28 July 2012

FITNESS 3: Gear and gadgets


Having the right gear is absolute key when you're working out. And doesn't have to cost a fortune... except for the shoes. Those are worth investing in.

I bought mine in XXL (Norwegian sports store) just over a week ago, amazing! Nike Zoom structure they're called. Good stability and support and especially designed for those that need extra medial support like me, but at the same time need/want extra cushioning and light weight. I bought them for 1399 NOK / £148 / $231 in Norway, but if you don't live in Norway you can get them LOADS cheaper. On Footlocker.com they got them for $99 (597NOK / £63). The reason for the redicioulous overpricing in Norway is due to our import, VAT and tax system. But I needed new shoes and couldn't wait until I was back in the UK.

Clothing
I've got a series of polyester t-shirts which are great for getting all the body sweat out and about. Then one good pair of shorts and a pair of running tights. I bought those tight when I was in St. Maxim (near St. Tropez France) in 2008! And they're still going strong. Same with one of the t-shirts. So if you come across the brand Kalenji, don't walk past it, buy it.


I need to get some more t-shirts when I get back to the UK, can't be arsed to buy 'em here.  Because all I got is 3 t-shirts and one of them is too small now. Bloody washing machine's been shrinking it into Barbie size.

Next thing on my list is a couple of polyester boxers, cause cotton ain't cutting it anymore. Right, if you're a bloke you can relate to this and if you're a girl I apologize. You've been out running for example or lifting some weights in the gym. You're sweaty all over the place and is it one thing that's not nice it's a pair of sweaty cotton boxers either going high up or clinging to your sack like a pair of hungry puppies. And sometimes after you've finished and sit down, it feels like the Abominable Snowman has paid you a visit. So thought I'd just give it a go and see if it's any better.

Also getting a jacket and maybe a long sleeve top.

Shopping list:
Craft Men's Active Run Tee - £14 x 2 = £28
Craft Men's Pro Cool Boxers £23.96 x 2 = £47.92

Total - £131.52

And you should also get a armband or similar for your phone (or mp3 player). They cost next to nothing on eBay from China.

Add the shoes (US price) and a pair of shorts...

Smartphone armband (multiple phones) - £2.89

... and you get a total of £201.41

I know it sounds like a lot, but most of the stuff I've got has lasted me for several years. So look at it as an investment.

Gadgets & apps

For my workout I use several apps and some gear to make the most of it.


   

Workout trainer is a smartphone app which helps you find workout programs. They've got thousands of different program for all parts of the body. And it's so easy to use. It comes in a free version and a pro version. Basically the pro version gives you a real persons voice as audio coach plus access to more programs. I've been using the free version and works great for me. The reason why I use this is for example instead of using pen and paper to make a list of the exercises I'm doing, I can have picture, audio data and more. It also doubles as a social network, allowing strangers to connect. I've created four programs myself.



Endomondo Sports tracker is an absolute life saver! This is because it help me keep track of my progress and also gives me detailed performance data with its GPS feature. For example it measures you speed at specific points, also how steep that hill was. It also acts as an audio coach during your workout, giving you your lap time, distance and more.

You can also, with the PRO version, beat yourself and compete with others. You can set it to involve any type of sport, not just cycling or running. Same as with the Workout Trainer, it doubles as a social network, but can also easily be connected with Facebook. 

I use this every time I go running/cycling and also for interval training, both strength and cardio.


AND MUSIC!!! I can't go running without music! I need those beats drumming through my head. It's also proven that music can increase your performance with 15%. That's why I always got a ton of playlists on my phone.

All of this stuff, the clothes, the shoes and the apps, is only there to help you preform better. And I personally feel I preform better with them. To me, it's important to able to use technology to make life a tiny bit easier, but it shouldn't control my life. So I say give it a go!

And one more thing. I'm really not trying to sound like a know-it-all-goodie-goodie here. And I know I'm no expert on this, but I'm just typing what I've learned and what I like. Cheers!

Next time I'll show you my new program which is gonna run from next week until.... ehhhh.... a while. And I'd love your feedback please :D

These are two of my favourite artists!! Fireflies and Call Me Maybe are two great hits!

Check it out!

Today's song: Owl City & Carly Rae Jepsen - Good time

No comments:

Post a Comment