The first rule: Forget about the number on the scale! (your weight) If you wish to loose fat and gain muscles and to become lean, your weight shouldn't be any concern. The reason for this is that muscle weigh more than fat.
![]() |
| Me the other day after a workout. Just felt like taking a picture really. |
What does count, is how YOU feel, how YOU preform and how YOU feel you look. What I do from time to time, even though I know I shouldn't, is to compare myself with others. Everyone does it. Especially if you go to a gym. You can't help but look at others and often feel envy. Yeah sometimes it sucks, I know. That some people can just look at a gym and eat fast food and still be fit and look good, while you work out 3 times a week. But here's some comforting news; when those people hit their 50-60s they'll most likely get larger, fat clogged up in their arteries, muscle deterioration and general body fatigue. It's a bit mean to think that, but hey? What's the world without the devil on your left shoulder?
My goal
I want to get lean and increase my muscle mass. Not massive, but defined. I want to loose belly fat and get a six pack. And also improve my cardio. Simple as that really. Take a look at Zac Efron, now that's a great body! Lean, nice muscles, six pack, but still not Arnold Schwarzenegger massive.That's my goal. And yeah, I know it will take time, but I will get there.
Define your goal early. Having a goal it helps me push that little bit extra and gives me something to aim for. Also I feel writing a blog, posting stuff on social medias and other apps helps to motivate me. Could be something so simple as someone pressing LIKE on my photos/statuses of workout stuff.
My workout plan
I try to follow this as closely as possible, but sometimes I've had to cut it short because of work. All these sessions take about 1 hour, maybe a bit more. From next week I'll change my plan, which I will tell you more about later.
Abs workout - Day 1 and 3
Week 1 - 2
Run 4 km. At every km you stop and do a muscle session:
- 20 diamond sit ups
- 10 right oblique sit ups
- 10 left oblique sit ups
- 10 hip lifts
- 20 leg lifts
Week 3
Run 5 km. At every km you stop and do a muscle session:
- 20 diamond sit ups
- 10 sit ups whilst right leg raised and left leg bent behind it
- 10 sit ups whilst left leg raised and right leg bent behind it
- 10 hip lifts
- 20 leg lifts
- 10 wide push ups
Week 4 - 5
Run 6 km. At every km you stop and do a muscle session:
- 20 diamond sit ups
- 10 sit ups whilst right leg raised and left leg bent behind it
- 10 sit ups whilst left leg raised and right leg bent behind it
- 10 hip lifts
- 20 leg lifts
- 10 wide push ups
- 10 frog legs
- 10 wide push ups (if you're up for it)
Stretch out! You should be at 70-80% max pulse when running.
Dumbbell workout - Day 2
You keep the same exercises, but increase the weights. I try to up mine every 1-2 week.. So taking notes of what you do the first time is a good idea. It should be so heavy that doing one extra tricep kickback is impossible. You can access the program on you Apple or Android phone here: http://www.skimble.com/workouts/375051 I'm going to tell you more about the apps and gadgets I use later.
- Start with a 20 min cardio warm up. Cycling or running. About 70% of maximum pulse.
Dumbbells
- 12 dumbbell squats
- 12 dumbbell lunges right leg first
- 12 dumbbell lunges left leg first
- 12 dumbbell chest press
- 25 sec rest
- 12 dumbbell bent over rows
- 10 tricep kickbacks
- 10 right tricep extensions
- UP YOUR WEIGHT FOR BICEPS
- 10 right bicep curls
- 10 left bicep curls
- 25 sec rest
- 10 right bicep curls
- 10 left bicep curls
- 12 dumbbell lateral shoulder raises
- 12 overhead press
- 25 sec rest
Abs part - this part you do TWICE
- 30 sec plank
- 20 crunches
- 10 right oblique crunches
- 10 left oblique crunches
- 20 bicycle crunches
- 12 Russian twists (with or without a ball, you choose)
- 20 leg lifts
- 15 hip lifts / floor bridge
Stretch out
- Cobra (20 sec)
- Child's pose (20 sec)
- Shoulder stretches, alternate arms after 20 sec
- Chest stretches, alternate arms after 20 sec
- Tricep stretches, alternate arms after 20 sec
- Quad stretches, alternate legs after 20 sec
- Hamstring stretches, alternate legs after 20 sec
- Right side stretch (20 sec)
- Left side stretch (20 sec)
Shake it out!
Fitting it all in
Try to make it work for you. Also try to make sure that you have a meal straight after your workout to get all the benefits of your workout! Sometimes I can't workout that day, but I try my best to make it up the following day. Now I work full time, normally 5-6 days a week, so shuffling about is sometimes necessary.
Take the stairs, suddenly do 10 push ups at work or bounce around. Move your body every day. Don't just sit on your arse when you're not working out.
Motivation
What keeps me motivated is the progress I've been making so far. I've lost about 5 cm / 2 inches of fat at my waist during the last 3-4 weeks. I feel that I get more energy from working out. It also helps to keep me healthy.
Also I'd like to feel more confident about my body. It's not like I hide it away and shove it in a closet (haha, got it?), but I don't LOVE playing football topless on the beach for example. When it comes to my body, I'm satisfied with everything except my abs, chest and arms. I'll be the first to admit that if I had a six pack I'd probably go running shirtless down at the beach. Why? To show off, haha! I wouldn't to it every time, but I can just imagine that it would brighten your day having people whistle after you when you run past.
STAY TUNED! Pop by tomorrow and I'll tell you about what I eat and the supplements I take to maximize the workouts I do.
Have a nice Wednesday night with some Latino rhythms!
Today's song: Shakira - Addicted to you


No comments:
Post a Comment