Tuesday, 24 July 2012

A FIREMAN MAYBE?

I've written about this several times, but the question never seems to get old. A question asked ever since you could walk. Normally magician, fireman, policeman or astronaut are the kings of the career wishlist for many boys when growing up.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

When I ask that to anyone else, I normally do so in present tense. I don't go ...when you were growing up, because we're still growing. We always change, we always grow. The prospect of leaving university in just one year from now is kind of terrifying. Think about it. For the last 16 years I've been in full time education. A new era of my life is about to begin.

So what do I want to be? Well I love gadgets and media. TV, film and music are key elements of my life. I also LOVE moving about at work and could not handle a office job. One of the many things I got from my mother, is the urge to work with people. I love being around people, so office work at home is no option for me. As some of you may know, one of the things I actually thought of doing in my life was Child Protection Service worker. Working with children. I love kids, I do.

I have got an idea of my dream job. I would love to get to work for Travel Channel as a camera operator. Traveling the world, meeting new people and cultures and trying all kinds of different food. That's my dream. I think my urge to travel and get as far away as possible comes from the film "Eurotrip". That was the first DVD I bought for my own money when I was 12. Ever since then I've been signing/humming "Scotty doesn't know that Fiona..." once in a while.



Basically I'e boiled my future down to a few elements:

- Ability to express myself
- Organizing
- People
- Active

That's the four elements I'm looking for in my future. Stress is also something I enjoy from time to time, but not everyday. Makes you feel alive and shows yourself what you're capable of.


Where would this be? That's another thing. I'm a bit torn between at least two different places, Norway and UK. I do love Norway and I'm proud to say I'm Norwegian, but I'm.... I donno.... bored being in the same place I guess. And besides, the film industry or drama productions for TV, in Norway is very small, simply because we're only 5 million people.

In the last 6-8 months or so, the idea that's been stuck in my head is trying to get a job for BBC Wales in Cardiff. A large number of BBCs drama productions are based in Cardiff now, not London. That's also a reason I'm trying to pick up some Welsh. If I could learn Welsh, at least some basics, it might be to my advantage. So far I can present myself, greetings and count to 10, haha! Hopefully I'll get better.

But I am being a realist. Getting a job in the BBC will be really hard and IF by a stroke of divine touch I get in, I would have to start as the assistant of the assistant. I'll also try to apply for jobs with other production companies to. The only thing is that the recession has hit the UK, which has made the job market unstable as hell. In Norway the recession never came and any Norwegian telling you otherwise are completely bonkers...

And besides I like it in Swansea. 

The scary side. What's holding me back is family and friends in Norway. I often feel a guilt for leaving my sisters for example. And I do miss my parents, not living under their roof, but having them near me. And my friends of course.

My auntie told me something in April which has stuck with me "Why should you move back? You're young. Explore the world". That's what she did. After working as an Au pair in UK, she lived several years in America with my uncle. One of my nephews were born there. They've lived in Norway now for like 12-13 years, but MIGHT be moving to the States again for a few years. They survived.

But then again, true friends and family stay with you forever wherever you are. And so far they have. I've got some amazing friends in Norway which I speak to very often when in the UK. And I speak to my family often too. Skype calls are a wonderful thing! Should I then hold back my dreams because of the scary side? I think one should take family and friends into the account, but not let them make the decision for you. True friends and family stay with you where ever you go. Just remember to call home once in a while.

What will become of me? Who knows? Maybe I'll wake up one day and decide to become a... nose spray tester! Point is that even though I kinda hate it, the lack of a secure path and future that is, it's a part of growing up I guess.

So cheers to uncertainty!

Anine Stang is a great Norwegian artist. I filmed her during the Pride Days in the capitol a few weeks back. She was absolutely amazing live and what mooooooves! She had a pre-premiere on her new song which I believe is set to be released very soon.

Today's song: Anine Stang - Dominoes

No comments:

Post a Comment