Sunday, 16 October 2011

KIDS AWAY - FIRST ACTIVITY

Today was the first activity of the new project I'm in charge of, called Kids Away. It went absolutely perfect. First I would like to thank my 5 volunteers, who did an amazing job walking through the forest on treasure hunts and making sure everyone was having a great time. Thank you :D

For those that don't know, the Kids Away project take about 20 kids out on monthly activities, such as bushcraft, climbing, bowling etc. With the next week or so, I'll be launching the Kids Away blog (BETA site so far) were you can check out our project, get involved or give donations/support us. F. ex. for the December activity we need jam jars and toilet roll tubes.


Today we were in Gower having bushcraft courses together with Dryad Bushcraft. Andy and Rick were today's amazing instructors, who thought us everything from building a survival shelter and lighting a fire to making friendship bracelets from forest items. 

I felt so good finally starting up. All the stress and planning is worth it when you see these kids faces. They are an incredible bunch of kids, just that some might have had and have a rough time.

One of the boys doesn't speak outside his family, hardly even in school. He's really shy. Today we got him to smile and participate in all activities. He loved it. I also managed to get a faint whispers with the word "Okay" when I asked him "how you feeling?" after he tripped on a stick. One activity, one word. Just imagine, maybe after three activities we'll get a sentence. THAT is progress.

That's what I mean, many of these kids need help rebuilding, but even so, all of them smile and have fun. If I can say I've managed to improve the life of a few kids during my time I'll be through the roof.

Today's song: The Killers - Human

No comments:

Post a Comment