Friday, 23 December 2011

MY CHRISTMAS: MY CHRISTMAS

My Norwegian Christmas:

23/12 - "Little Christmas Eve" / Lille Julaften


Here me and my family traditionally have rice porridge with butter, sugar and cinnemon on top. My mum hides an almond and the one that finds it gets a marzipan pig. Many Norwegians do this.


We also set out a plate of porridge to the santa (not Santa Clause, see previous post).


Grevinnen og Hovmesteren/Der 90. Geburtstag oder Dinner for One which is a black & white short from Western-Germany with the English comedian Freddie Frinton and May Warden. It's shown in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Denmark, Finland, Greenland, Australia and South-Africa on New Years Eve, but on the 23rd in Norway. It's been shown for maaaannnnyyyy years.


24/12 - Christmas Eve



Traditionally people in Norway will eat "ribbe" / whole pork ribs, with "sossiser" / mini un-smoked sausages, sauerkraut, vegetables, "tyttebær"/lingonberries and potatoes ++.

Our roast, un cooked and un-prepped of course.

In my family we've always has "skinkesteik"/Christmas roast of ham, roasted and boiled potatoes, "sossiser", "tyttebær", gravy and vegetables. (I feel like I'm forgetting something....?) Normally mum will make a small piece of "ribbe" for the people that want that, but this year we're skipping the "ribbe". I really don't mind. I think Christmas roast tastes a lot better. 


Then after dinner and desert, normally around 18:00 ish, we start opening presents. So fun!

25/12 - 1st Christmas Day / Christmas Day


When I was a kid I got up early on Christmas Day to run downstairs to try out my gifts and check out my stocking. Yeah our stockings either hang by the fireplace or lie under the tree. In it is often some candy, fruit, cartoons, games etc.

Christmas Day is a day where the family gather around the TV to watch old time classics, like Disney and Cindarella. Ever since the 1970s Tre nøtter til Askepott/Three Gifts for Cinderella, org.: Tři oříšky pro Popelku, have been shown on Norwegian TV. One MAN dubbed all the voices into Norwegian. In the beginning I found it hilarious, and I kinda still do, but now I'm used to it. Tried watching it in Slovak language, but it was just so wrong + I can't speak Slovak.


Then often we'll have a Christmas brunch/lunch with some other part of the family we weren't with on Christmas Eve. Usually this is leftovers from the Christmas dinner mixed with freshly cooked bread and/or rolls, omelettes and the normal ham, cheeses etc.

25/12 - 2nd Christmas Day / Boxing Day --> 30/12 - The Day before New Years


Here we've got MAANNYY family parties, hopefully some skiing, friends parties and much more fun. (And suddenly my family looked greek, by the looks of the picture xD )

31/12 - New Years Eve


Early on New Years Eve we smash the peppercookiehouse into a thousand pieces and eat it. (That's just an illustration, I'll show you our soon)


When I've spent my New Years Eve with my family, we normally have a turkey dinner. It the last two years I've been with friends at parties. One year I had taco on New Years, that was lush!



01/01 - 1st New Years Day

Either you're waking up and taking it easy, might go ski OR you're hangover.

Merry Christmas!

I think this guy is a genius! HAHA!
Today's song: All I want for Christmas / Dancing with iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment