Thursday, 14 June 2012

ANOTHER YEAR

Another year in university has come to an end. Scary isn't it? How quickly time flies. The big and scary world is coming ever so closer. Next year I'll be a graduate... now that's a scary thought. What will I do? What will become of me?

In the last year I've gotten the taste for production and the organising behind film/TV productions. I enjoy the pressure, the need to plan. Marketing, publicity, organising, logistics and administration are all key elements I've come to enjoy in the last few years, even outside media. When I sat down thinking what field I wanted to study, marketing or logistics were actually fields I was considering. Since I was 16 I've worked in a grocery store chain in Norway. From there I've learned a lot. I like my job, I do. A few times or lets be fair, several times, through the years, I've faceplanted and made mistakes. Messed up and pissed off a fair share of people. But after a while I started to learn from my mistakes and I improved. I might not always admit to it, but I can be stubborn as hell, seem rude and a know-it-all (even though I don't really intend to). Through my jobs I've learned a great deal and I'm greatfull to all the different people I've been able to follow and learn from!

Anyhoodle, I'm derailing here. My point is; next year I'm graduating and life is really starting. What are my thoughts of my future? I've set a goal and that is to try to get a job in BBC Cardiff, where most of BBCs drama productions are based. If I end up there, time will show. People ask me if I want to return to Norway... Not yet. I don't feel ready. My aunt said some wise words to me a little while back; why should you return? You're young. Stay abroad and enjoy! She herself have lived several years abroad in different countries. I'm planning on going through the BBC Welsh language site this summer, in an attempt to pick up Welsh or at least set the foundation for it. Reason for that is that is if you know Welsh you're more likely to get a jobb in BBC Wales. At least that's what I've heard.


Over the weekend I'm planning to apply for work experience at the BBC for September. I'll take anything. I'll work for free if I can. Even making coffee and tea will allow you to pick up things in the industry. And one day, your responsibility will expand and that will develop into more. Here my stubbornness is a good thing. Keep pushing. Keep fighting. And one day you'll take down that wall. My mum taught me that.

Not the nicest picture of me... but hell. It was raining and had been working for hours. The lovely girls are two of my AMAZING colleagues, which never fails to put a smile on my face.
This year has been a roller-coaster, mostly fun moments. Uni work took me to my very limits, alongside my other classmates. I swear the International Space Station could hear the 2nd BA (hons) Video class let out a sigh when the final assignment, dissertation proposal, was handed in. Outside uni it's been a amazing year with Student Swansea Events, filming and interviewing many of Swansea's lovely students. After a couple of months I considered quitting my job. Because some problems and because of the stress. But then my stubbornness kicked in and now I don't regret it a bit. It's been amazing, learned so much. And I've gotten to meet some celebrities to, like Tim Minchin.

I've made some more amazing new friends, become closer with the ones I already had and broken a few connections. Learned a lot from that to. Sometimes you realise that not everything isn't meant to last or to have a future. Is it one thing this year has taught me, is that you shouldn't give up, but it's okay to say "You know what? No. I'm not going to do that. I'm going to have a rest day" I sometimes try to be like Jim Carrey in Yes Man and say yes to it all, but I've learned you can't always do that and that it's no shame in that.

What am I doing this summer? I'll be working in the grocery store and working on a couple of event/TV productions. Then hopefully I'll be able to do some freelance journalism for the local paper. Besides that, it's all about family, friends, fitness and dissertation research.

With this I say goodbye to Swansea, Wales and the United Kingdom for the summer and hello to Norway. And I hope all of you guys have a lush and amazing summer!

And true to my tradition, today's song is of course Breakaway.

Today's song: Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway

No comments:

Post a Comment