Sunday, 8 April 2012

MY TWISTED LITTLE MIND: Small living



Small living.

Wouldn't it be great if people could use only the space they really needed? I've always liked different and alternative construction. I would be glued to the telly whenever a redecoration show or building show was on. I still am. Think my favourite must be Grand Designs on Channel 4 (UK) or TVNorge or MAX (Norway.) The exciting stuff people come up with to do is awesome. Bookcasestairs? Or moveable walls? Building something, especially woodwork, is really cool.


Ever heard of the woodland house in Wales?


That house is what people would call full size. But the way they built it.... REALLY fascinated me. It's pretty clear where they got their inspiration from, Hobbiton, the hobbit village in Lord of the Rings.

Another inspiring person is Jay Shafer, who's said to be the king of small living. He's the founder of the company Tumbleweed, which sells plans of small houses and can also build them. He's been living in small houses for years. In the clip below you get to see one of his houses.




Why would anyone want to consider living in a small house like that kid in that clip?
Well why not? You don't have to take up a mortgage you have keep paying down until you grow old. Not to mention the bills. With a house that small, the bills are cut dramatically. You can even go as far as to install solar panels on the roof, making it even cheaper. 

Austin Hay (the youngsters in the YouTube clip) - "Living small means less bills, living big means more bills" 


Already I live in a small house when I'm in Norway. My parents they made a small house, measuring 3m by 5m which is 15 m2/161 ft2. And I actually think this is quite spacious. But there isn't a kitchen or bathroom in here (only a fridge and glasses).

I think it sound awesome. Not having to be tied down because of a mortgage. Not having to spend tons and tons on electricity, council tax, water etc. And the independence! If you change jobs, relationships or simply get fed up with one place, you can move. (Yes I know you can't stay wherever you want) But to be fair, I don't know if I'd preferred permanent more. Not sure.

I've sent out an email to over 35 of Norways municipalities (kommuner) asking about taxes, permits etc. for both small houses that are permanent and also for moveable ones. So this will be exciting to see what they have to say! So yeah I'm actually dreaming of this. And if I ever do this in real life, which at the moment isn't the plan, I have to downsize a lot, haha!

But all this is just in my little head. If I'm ever going to do it, who knows. At least I've satisfied my curiosity, haha!

That's all from my twisted little mind. Ciao!


Remember this? 2,5 years ago this was everywhere! Catchy! Such a summer-party song.
Today's song: 3OH!3 - Starstrukk ft. Katy Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment