Wednesday, 23 May 2012

PRINCE OF WALES GARDEN

Next to our houses there's a patch of land, which I believe is the Council's, and it's all filled with tall grass, bushes and worst of all rubbish! People tend to throw stuff out in here! For months now I've been wanting to turn this into an urban park, but have been too busy with uni. Now that I'm done, I can start and hopefully work way into next week. 

Just cleared most of the rubbish, then grass cutting time.

After grass is cut.

So why am I doing this? Well this has annoyed me for months now. Even though it's not on our land, it's next to our house. Basically if something looks shit, people are going to treat it like shit. And there's no point in me just sitting here complaining about this. If I want something fixed, it's up to myself to do it. I think it's a shame when people just sit there complaining and don't do anything about the problem when they clearly can. AND besides, it's a great workout!

I want to create a sort of urban "park"/"garden".  My landlord was kind enough to lend me all the tools I need, rake, grass trimmer, hedge trimmer and a spade. One of my mates found some good wood we could get for free to make benches and hopefully the Environment department will donate a bin for the "garden". I did talk to them a couple a months back about it and they seemed positive, so just hoping if I get this to look good that they will place one there.


The yellow area is the general area I'm working on, but mainly focusing on the front part. With the help of Google Earth, I calculated that the area I'm clearing is about 150 m2 / 1600 ft2. Problem is that this green area have been neglected for years, so that means bushes, grass and tree have been left to themselves. Which normally is fine, but because vegetation so dense here, the main trees are not growing right because of the lack of space. So my plan is to chop of the damaged branches and get rid of/trim the bushes. Then even out the ground afterwards. Also I'm going to remove the aluminium poles which is left after someone stole the fence a few years back. Yes I know , crazy, but you could fetch a good price for the metal then.
And in a perfect dream world the Council would donate some flowers to plant, but doubt that will happens though (I will try to apply for it).

Oh and guess what I found in the tall grass today? ....Two old nappies! Ehw.... I think it's DISGUSTING what people get themselves to throw away. I've found two car tires, a mattress, tubes, a bunch of beer bottles, like 30 books and wood. But I will get there. So if anyone in Swansea want to come and help turn this into a "proper" Prince of Warden garden, then come along! I'll be working for the next five days or so, at least.


Stop waiting for change to happen. Be the change! Take control. If you're unhappy about something in life, change it. This might be work, school or love, what's holding you back? CHANGE = moving forward in life

Today's song: Katy Perry - Firework

No comments:

Post a Comment