Monday, 12 September 2011

COMING OUT

Even though me and my parents always have had a very open relationship, telling them I'm bisexual was one of the hardest things I've ever told them. 90% of me knew that they would take it perfectly fine, but it's that 10% that stays put. And when I finally did tell them, they took it great! Mom basically said "I know".

Not everyone are that lucky when exiting the closet.

Take a look at this short documentary "Coming out in the 1950s". In the 1950s LGBT persons suffered heavy discrimination. Being gay was seen as a "mental disease" and one of the recommended treatment methods was electro shock, against your own will. In several countries, if you were caught by police in a gay bar, gay club etc. they might round you up and in some places they published their names in the paper the day after.



I was really touched by some of the stories in this documentary.

One of my mates status a while back.
Okay let's rewind a few hundred years. Homosexuality was common at the very beginning of humanity, when the neanderthals ruled the continent with their clubs. Proof of this is found in several hundred cave paintings with a homo erotic character. In old Greece when Plato and Aristotle were alive, so was very much the custom of being homosexual openly.


"385 BC – Plato's Symposium is published in which it is argued that love between males is the highest form and that sex with women is lustful and only for means of reproduction. Only with men can the Greek male reach his full intellectual potential"

"In year 54, Emperor of Rome Nero, married two men with at least one spouse accorded the same honours as a Caesar's wife."

Well I don't agree completely with the first quote, cause love is for everyone, but my point here is that "gays" have been around for ages. The second one just proves that the great Emperor Nero saw his husband as equal as he would a wife.

In the next one I'll show you how common it really is in today's world. Next up; People, media and culture

Now to one my favorite artist; P!NK! This lady rock! She's herself no matter what. I love Raise your glass :D When I was thinking of tattoos I considered getting either Breakaway, So What or Raise your glass.

Today's song: P!nk - Raise your glass





No comments:

Post a Comment