Thursday, 27 January 2011

DSLR

I SOOO want a DSLR Canon that can capture video! The camera I've got is a Canon EOE 450D and I'm very happy about that for taking still pictures etc. I might try to sell my 450D and buy a newer model or maybe a 60D, but that costs £870 :\ Christmas perhaps??? :D
Source: Canon UK
Some of you might think "Why would he want a DSLR when he's a film student?" Because when it comes to low budgets films, meaning everything outside Hollywood etc., you get MUCH more for you money if you invest in a DSLR than a ordinary video camera. In addition, the DSLR has a much better selection of lenses for a reasonable price, than video cameras do. Extra equipment is easier to get your hands on, mobile and better hardware.

"When looking at these films pay close attention to the control over depth of field and the added dimensions it gives. I could spend £5,000 on a video camera and not even get close to the quality delivered by today's DSLRs with available lenses, at the same price." - Filmmaker John Campbell in an interview with "Professional Photographer" December 2010 edition

Video on DSLR revolutionized how the film industry thinks and meant that low budget film/students films actually have chance of reaching the general public in these HD/3D times. People want high quality, not just the story, but the footage itself has to good. Ordinary tape based cameras are on their way out and thank god for that. I'm not saying that the cameras the Hollywood/professional industry uses are going to die out, and the probbably won't, but like I said everything from amateur up to that league is bound to be mostly based on DSLR. Personally, I would choose to use a SLR in a heartbeat instead of a video camera, no problem what so ever.

That was a really formal post :D

Today's song: Jessie J - Do it like a dude

No comments:

Post a Comment