"Acquired immune deficiency syndrome or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) is a disease of the human immune system caused by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). This condition progressively reduces the effectiveness of the immune system and leaves individuals susceptible to opportunistic infections and tumors. HIV is transmitted through direct contact of a mucous membrane or the bloodstream with a bodily fluid containing HIV, such as blood, semen, vaginal fluid, preseminal fluid, and breast milk." - Wikipedia.com
AIDS affects many people around the world. In 2009 it was estimated that 33,3 million people were living with HIV/AIDS. And it isn't only African countries that have this syndrome as many people think, USA is also heavily affected. In the UK they estimate it's about 50,000 - 100,000 people with HIV/AIDS. Some people tend to think that it's only Africans or gays that can get HIV/AIDS, that is not true. You could have gotten infected through breast milk, who's to say your mother haven't had the HIV gen dormant in her body. Or if you have had a one night stand after town. I'm not saying that if you've hooked up, that your are infected, you most likely aren't (at least with HIV/AIDS), but the chances are there. Or I've come in contact with a HIV persons blood. But the thing is that you never know. Free tests are available several places in most countries, all it's takes is simple blood test. I took one last week myself (no, I don't have any symptoms, but my GP asked if I wanted a free test, so I said yes) maybe you should to?
Q: Do you know anyone with HIV/AIDS?
As a film student I look for inspiration all the time. I first saw this video on Russel Howards Good news show. The tell the recovery process in a different way that catches people attention. They show us the whole process, backwards. The woman, Selinah, is today cured thanks to the Topsy foundation.

No comments:
Post a Comment