Friday, 11 February 2011

MOBBING / BULLYING


A Norwegian national newspaper, VG, started a campaign to get people aware of bullying and the effects of it. People don't always think so much about what their actions can do to others. Even the smallest action from other people can tear down one persons world. Some people that have come forth in the articles, have had their whole life ruined, but some also made it. I think it's great that bulling is put on the agenda and people start to talk about it.

This is my story:

As a child I was also bullied a lot and this had a huge impact on me. I was only 9 1/2 years (4th grade) when the bullying started. For almost 1 1/2 year I was bullied almost every single day. You always think: "Why me? Is there something wrong with me? Am I ugly or what?" As a child I had what we Norwegians call "puppy-fat", I was a bit chubby. This added to my belief that my size was the reason. When I look back at it now I don't know what I was on about, but as a 9 year old child you don't think that way. You feel ashamed and down. I didn't wanna tell my mom because I was afraid to tell on other kids. I was terrified of going to school, I dreaded it. I remember trying to come up with an excuse to stay inside when it was recess. I'd say I had a headache or stomach ache, anything to avoid the schoolyard. I felt sick just by thinking of school sometimes. It was never anything physical, just verbally, but that was enough. I hid it well from my mom, so she wouldn't see it, but deep down I hoped she would. I could be lying in my bed, crying and feeling sad, hoping she would come in. A few times she, but I always hid it or came up with an excuse.



After some time I was so nervous that sometimes after breakfast or lunch I would throw up my food. I couldn't simply hold it down, I was so scared. And for a split second the pain went away. I was so far down, no confidence what so ever. It took me some time to realize that this could not continue. I managed to gather enough courage to tell my mom. I knew that if just tell my mom, she would make it all better. Remember having a meeting with one of the teachers, my mom and the bully. He said he was sorry, but my mind was almost blacked out because of happiness. A gigantic weight was lifted of my shoulders. I realized that I should have done this ages ago. What had I been afraid of all this time? I was very low on confidence, for many years to come, but I slowly started to heal.

Thank you mom for always being there for me, always!

Children that are bullied don't always see the light in the end of the tunnel, they just feel trapped. Then it's important that other people to help. Now I feel stronger than ever and I feel I've learned from it it. I feel the urge to help others. Like my mom always have told me: "Never keep problems inside of you, or they might eat you up. Tell and share them with others" I was very lucky to have a great support system around me, but not everyone does. The Red Balloon Centers are doing an amazing job in UK, getting children back onto their feet.

I saw a documentary on BBC a few months ago, "Can't bully me", about the Red Balloon centers. The children here was so heavily bullied, that they didn't know how to live their lives, they were broken. Some were afraid of being in the same room as other children others hadn't set foot inside a ordinary school building in years. This documentary touched my heart so much and makes me both angry and inspired in the same time. I get so furious about what people do to each other, bullying, teasing, physically attacking etc. The horror that some kids, as well as adults, have to endure every day... 
The society needs to open their eyes, not just about bullying, but of all violence, specially against children. If you see a sign of something, REPORT IT! Don't think it's probably nothing, if it's nothing you might have "wasted" five minutes calling child protective services, but imagine if the small thing you saw was part of something bigger? Five minutes could change that child life. The world will never be perfect, but it's possible to make it better.

So go on to VG - bry deg or Red Balloon Learner. Maybe you could sign up as a support contact or volunteer for a cause/charity?

It is all this that has inspired me in my new project; Personal narrative. I'm making a documentary about a teenager that have problems with eating disorders and bulling. So hopefully in May you'll be able to see the result.

Today's song: Christina Aguilera - Beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment